If you’re an experienced teacher with a degree, you can achieve qualified teacher status (QTS) without having to do any further training. Assessment Only allows you to demonstrate that you already meet all of the standards for QTS. Mid Essex ITT is now an approved provider for the Assessment Only (AO) route.
To meet the requirements for the assessment-only route, candidates must:
• Hold a degree from a UK higher education institution or equivalent qualification of a 2:2 or better
• Have achieved a standard equivalent to grade 4 (formerly grade C) or above at GCSE level in English, or standard equivalent*
• Have achieved a standard equivalent to grade 4 (formerly grade C) or above at GCSE level in Mathematics, or standard equivalent*
• Have taught in at least two schools
• Have undertaken significant teaching experience (typically at least two years)
• Be able to demonstrate teaching experience across the following age ranges: 11 to 16 years or 14 to 19 years
• Have the ability to demonstrate that they can meet all of the Department for Education’s Teachers Standards without the need for any further training
• Have the necessary knowledge, skills, intellectual and academic capabilities
• Have the ability to communicate clearly and effectively in standard English and competency in literacy
• Have competency in numeracy
* Unfortunately, we do not accept Functional Skills tests in place of GCSEs
You can read all the criteria in more details here: Mid Essex ITT AO Criteria
You can also find out more information about the Assessment Only route here on www.gov.uk
Please note that Mid Essex ITT is unfortunately unable to assess candidates who are currently teaching overseas at this time. However, we recommend you contact TES Institute as they offer the AO route for overseas candidates.