Just some of the reasons why you should choose Mid Essex for your teacher training:
- Mid Essex has a small, friendly team of staff who get to know all our trainee teachers well and are able to offer personalised support for them every Thursday. Of the trainees in our 2018/19 cohort 88.9% of respondents strongly agreed whilst the remaining 11.1% agreed that the work of the Mid Essex central team was effective in supporting their training and preparing them for their NQT year.
- We have links with over 20 secondary schools around Essex.
- Excellent employment rates, significantly above the national average: virtually all our successful trainees are offered NQT teaching posts, many in the schools in which they trained. 96% of our 2018/19 cohort went into NQT positions versus 81% nationally (one trainee decided not to undertake their NQT year due to family commitments and another was seeking a part-time position within a specific geographic location). Our completion rates are above the national average too, 98% of trainees within our 2018/19 cohort completed the programme versus 91% nationally.
- All of our training is run by experienced, practising teachers.
- Weekly training in the fantastic Braintree Arts Theatre.
- Additional, weekly subject specific training at your subject mentor's school.
- Continual assessment process.
- Support of a mentor, professional mentor and subject mentor, plus our three Course Tutors and Programme Manager.
- We have 25 years of experience and over 800 teachers have trained with us.
- Mid Essex ITT is fully committed to fairness and equality. We strive to recruit from all backgrounds and value the diversity brings to the profession. We have full disabled access at our training venue and a number of our schools. We welcome any requests from applicants concerning anything we can do to support you as you apply to join the course.
- The wellbeing of our trainees is one of our key priorities, in our end of course evalution 84.4% of trainees strongly agreed that Mid Essex was fully commited to supporting their wellbeing with 15.6% agreeing.
- Over 50% of trainees each year complete their training as a grade 1, meaning they are considered an outstanding classroom teacher.
Safer recruitment of trainee teachers
- Mid Essex ITT is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people.
- We implement safer recruitment procedures and all candidates will be required to have a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) criminal records check.
- Mid Essex ITT will also carry out a check of the children's barred list and prohibition from teaching list.
- Mid Essex ITT will also seek references from two professional individuals and ask each referee to state that he/she “knows of no reason why the applicant should not work with children or vulnerable adults."
- Following receipt of the UCAS application, candidates may be asked to complete a work history form, accounting for any gaps in employment or study.
- Applicants who have lived or worked overseas may be asked to apply for a certificate of good conduct in addition to their DBS check.
- All applicants will be asked to complete an Occupational Health questionnaire to check that they are fit to train.