Help! I’m missing one of the requirements!

Don’t worry, there are several ways we can help you….

Replacement Certificates

If you offered a place to train, we will need to see your GCSE certtificates before you can start the course.  There is some helpful advice about applying for replacements here:  https://www.gov.uk/replacement-exam-certificate 

International Qualifications

If you have an international qualification, you can obtain a Statement of Comparability from NARIC, the National Recognition Information Centre: www.naric.org.uk

Equivalency Testing

If you do not have GCSE Maths of English in Grade C or above, you can take an equivalency test instead. We can recommend the following organisations:



Subject Knowledge Enhancement

If you want to teach a subject but you are not sure if your subject knowledge is not up to scratch, we can point you in the direction of a Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) course. This could be because your degree wasn't in your chosen subject, but it was closely related, or you have an A level in the subject. A SKE will allow you to build up or refresh your existing knowledge. SKE courses are free for shortage subjects such as Maths, Physics, Chemistry, French, German or Spanish. We recommend the SKE courses with the TES Institute. You can only register for a SKE course once you have accepted a place on a teacher training course.  Click here to find out about the SKE courses at the TES Institute. 

School Experience Programme

We recommend spending time in a school to strengthen your application for teacher training. It will give you the opportunity to watch some lessons and will provide you with some examples to talk about at interview. The school experience programme (SEP) is run by the Department of Education and offers places to those wishing to commence initial teacher training (ITT) in a secondary school subject.  Click here to register for the School Experience Programme

What qualification will I get at the end of the course?

If you successfully complete the course, you will be awarded Qualified Teacher Status or “QTS”. Fee-paying trainees also work towards a Professional Graduate Certificate of Education.  Our ProfGCE is accredited by the University of Greenwich.

I already have QTS/PGCE and want to return to teaching

If you have already qualified as a teacher, and would like to get back into the classroom, do get in touch.  We can arrange some school experience for you at one of our partnership schools and offer some guidance about looking for the right job.  The Department for Education can also offer you some support - click here to visit the Return to Teaching section of their website.

I'm looking for a job as a teacher in Essex

If you are looking for a teaching position in the local area, Essex County Council have a fantastic Schools Jobs website you can visit.  You can also search for jobs as a TA, LSA, Learning Mentor or support staff roles.

Mid Essex ITT